Wednesday 23 November 2011

Penedès News in a different format


Penedès News has been one of the main pillars in the editorial line of this blog for the last few months and the time has come to evaluate the results. By now, I consider that I have been running project long enough to make conclusions and decide on adaptations.

The only interaction I have been able to stimulate with Penedès News – above all on Twitter, but sometimes also on Facebook – has been with posts either related to the individual towns (above all Vilanova i la Geltrú, for obvious reasons) or companies, organizations and networks. As far as I can see, there is no community which takes an active interest in having news from Penedès as a totality or not even from the four comarques as such presented in English.

On top of this, the interaction I have seen with Penedès News is much inferior to what I have experienced with my more recent but increasing focus on posts on human towers, #castellers. Here I regularly get feedback, on the one hand from the individual teams and on the other from people who have a more global or general interest in this cultural expression.

I have started to feel that, most likely, there is no real demand for having local Penedès news explained in English. However, at the same time, I know that there is a need for news filtering - as a service to the expats living here, but also for tourists. As a consequence, Penedès News will continue to exist but – at least for now – be transferred to my personal Twitter account, @Wirdheim. Here I will present the news as headlines in English but link to original sources in Catalan and Spanish. The most important of these tweets will then, once a month, be summarized in the newsletter Penedès in English.

The other content part of Penedès in English – the Penedès agenda – will not be affected by these changes. And as to what will come instead, here on the blog, I am not really sure. Maybe it is time to start experimenting again... ;)

No comments: