Sunday 1 November 2009

Vilafranca's 'Tots Sants' Day of Human Towers

Today, while many Catalans went to cementaries to look after late family members, we went to Vilafranca del Penedès, to watch the Diada de Tots Sants. My two small sons were extremely noisy in the car, but I still managed to catch a comment from the radio that this first of November came with temperatures more typical for the first of September, i.e. ideal conditions for human towers.



We arrived just on time to see what I thought would be the highlight of the day: the Castellers de Vilafranca building a 3 de 10. Although I stood far away, I was – as always – totally amazed with the huge base (pinya) which this team manages to bring together. It is a pity that they did not make it – I guess this was the last opportunity for there being a castell of ten levels during the 2009 season – but I am so grateful that they never give up.

To compensate, I was allowed to see at least three other outstanding human towers. Starting from the most advanced construction, the Castellers de Vilafranca assembled and dismantled a torre de 9 amb folre i manilles.



Then we had the Capgrossos de Mataró, who made their, as I understand it, first 4 de 9 for this season.



And finally - after a long break in a playground where my children forced me to go - by chance I came relatively close to the Al·lots de Llevant when they assembled (carregar) a 4 de 8. This is much more unique than it sounds since these people from Manacor (Mallorca) made their best performance (actuació) ever and hereby are the first team from outside Catalonia to reach eight levels during this season.



I also saw the Castellers de Lleida assembling a 4 de 8. Impressive, yes, but not exceptional since they have a solid record.


- - -
While I was still living on the very rainy Swedish west coast, a friend of mine once told me to stop worrying about the weather since you cannot do anything about it. I have never managed to follow his advice, but instead I have moved to a country where the weather is usually very benign. These days, however, I must admit falling back in old tracks. Let us, please, have three weekends without rain or strong winds so that we, the Bordegassos de Vilanova, can make attempts at human towers of eight levels.

- - -
Here is the el3deVuit article on today’s events.

- - -
Technorati tags: Castellers, Catalonia, Human Towers, Penedès, Vilafranca

2 comments:

Laie said...

Em segueix sorprenent la teva capacitat d'estar a tot arreu... I m'encanta llegir-ne les cròniques!

Una Vilafranquina que porta Vilanova en un trosset del cor.

Tro(b/v)ador del Sant Graal said...

Tusind taks for dine order om "castells" Ses vi paa padser.
Martin Català Pedersen. Capgròs og ogsaCasteller med Lleida's hold.