Monday 30 March 2009

ENG: Trans-lúcids - the Best Art Exhibition Ever

More than once have I wondered why La Sala – Vilanova’s Centre of Modern Art – is always empty when I am there. Last Friday I got the explanation; all art interested people of this small town go there on the inaugurations. From now on I will try to do the same.

I have understood that the textile industry used to be important in Catalonia, but until now have I associated that with inland towns like Terrassa and Manresa. However, from 1870 to 1901, there used to be eight textile factories even here in Vilanova i la Geltrú and this is what La Sala currently pays a tribute to.



Three separate exhibition parts and 80 works made by 26 artist almost guarantees that everyone can find something of interest this time. Under the name “Made in Vilanova”, Pere Arenas takes us through the calender of the year and reminds us the time when clothes were sewn at home rather than bought. On La Sala’s upper floor, some students of interior decoration from the local art school have made an installation called “Ex-play”.

"Trans-lúcids", in the main hall, is what impressed me the most in terms of techniques as well as themes. It is made by artists from the Foment de les Arts Decoratives and in our local newspaper do I read that if in the sixties textiles developed from being handycraft into being an element of contemporary art, the dominating trend today is to combine textiles with other materials.

Trans-lúcids will hang until June 7, but I will come back a lot sooner to show it to my wife. And I am confident that she will agree that this is the best exhibition ever organized at La Sala. So, if you need an excuse to select Vilanova for your next Sunday lunch at the sea, here is a good one.

- - -
CAT: Quina sensació de veure la sala gran tan plena d’obres i de tan alta qualitat. Per a mi, personalment, l’art més interessant que he vist a La Sala des de l'opertura en 2007, eren els motius del mar d’en Budesca, però Trans-lúcids és - sense dubte - la millor exposició ja que tothom pot trobar-hi la seva cosa preferida. Bravo La Sala!

- - -
Technorati tags: Garraf, Penedès, Vilanova

No comments: