Saturday 17 January 2009

ENG: Vilanova i la Geltrú Honours Sant Antoni

On January 17, Vilanova honours Sant Antoni – the patron saint of animals. Some inhabitants of the town take their pets out for a walk on the Rambla (except for innumerable dogs, today we also saw one parrot and one polecat) but the big event is a the parade of horses, carriages, some donkeys and a couple of pigs. This year, this date fell on a Saturday with a fantastic weather and that, in combination, attracted so many participants that my wife and my children wanted to go home long before they had all passed by.



The 'tres tombs' parade requires a lot of organisation and it is, indeed, a big happening in itself. But is it enough for a festa major d’hivern in a town like Vilanova? My children certainly did not miss the “tres tombs de foc” - the evening parade of dancing devils and fire spitting dragons which had been removed from the program for cost saving reasons - but I did. I think that we can do better.

- - -
Link to my 2008 post on the tres tombs.
- - -
Technorati tags: Catalonia, Festa Major, Penedès, Tres Tombs, Vilanova, Wirdheim

No comments: